Monday 27 April 2015

A-Z Day 27: Washing Day

Trout image courtesy of Vectorolie at freedigitalphotos.net

"Those who wash on Monday have all the week to dry," as the old saying goes. Or as the old folk song goes:


'Twas on a [ Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday ] morning
When I beheld my darling
She looked so neat and charming
In every high degree
She looked so neat and nimble, O
[ A-washing | A-hanging | A-starching | A-ironing | A-folding | A-airing | A-wearing ] of her linen, O
Refrain
Dashing away with the smoothing iron
Dashing away with the smoothing iron
Dashing away with the smoothing iron
She stole my heart away.

How can one ever match such a model of domestic endeavour? I certainly can't.  Still, one thing that Ms Perfect didn't have was a singing washing machine. No, not sinning - singing! When our old faithful front loader conked out  recently after fifteen years faithful service, we installed a new, super-duper all singing, all dancing model in its place. You know - the kind that has enough settings and programs to put Mr Smoothing Iron's sweetheart to shame. Though it stops short of drying, folding and ironing the load.  I nearly jumped out of my skin though, at the end of the first test cycle,  when it launched into a tinny version of the motif from Schubert's Trout Quintet. Well....What can you say? And I'm not the only one, it seems. A search for  youtube Samsung, trout I've found several other people showing off their domestic laundry arrangements. Maybe we could form our own quintet. I wonder what we'd call ourselves?

Anyway,  rather than deprive you of the pleasure of looking them up for youself, I'll leave you with a link to a performance of the proper version.  

4 comments:

  1. So glad to find your blog! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

    Sylvia
    www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thankful for my washer and dryer :) I do like to go to the laundromat occasionally just to people watch, but love the convenience of the appliances here at home and now that we moved, they are no longer in the garage but in the house, so its nice to know when the load is finished :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my washer is definitely one appliance I couldn't go without.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Sylvia. It'll be good to keep visiting the blog list once the challenge is over. There'll be more time!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.