Friday 3 April 2015

Blogging A-Z Day 3: Commemoration


I've been home for an hour or so after attending the traditional Maundy Thursday liturgy, with its solemn commemoration of the institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper. For me, the most telling point is  with the  closing singing of Psalm 22 "My God, my God, look upon me,"  as the altar and church are  stripped of their furnishings.  As we sit silently in the darkening building, it never fails to give me thought, however at odds with myself and my fellow human beings I might feel.

The setting I've chosen here (singers unknown) is by Samuel Wesley.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to a Maundy Thursday service in years, but I do remember things being stripped, statues being covered. Solemn times of reflection indeed.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.